The Waugh Family
John Rogerson Waugh was the brother of William Waugh and uncle of John (the Joker) Waugh. He was probably named in honour of Dr. John Rogerson of Lochmaben who served as a Medical Doctor to Catherine the Great of Russia.
John Rogerson Waugh and Agnes Rennie were married on February 13, 1857, in the United Presbyterian Church in Carluke. They had five children: Mary Waugh (born January 13, 1858, in Cambusnethan), Isabella Waugh (born April 29, 1859, in Cambusnethan), Lillias "Lily" Rennie Waugh (born February 24, 1861, in Cambusnethan), Elizabeth "Lizzie" Waugh (born November 29, 1862, in Cambusnethan), and George Waugh (born April 25, 1865, in Cambusnethan).
Agnes Rennie's parents were James Rennie (born c. 1795) and Mary Scott (born c 1797).
1841 Scotland Census - Carluke, Lanarkshire
James Rennie's occupation was listed as "Cotton Handloom Weaver".
1851 Scotland Census - Carluke, Lanarkshire
1851 Scotland Census
- Hollows Mill, Canonbie
1861 Scotland Census - Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire
Just to the north of Darngavel is Blackhall Cottage where John's brother William Waugh married Alison Lindsay on Nov 29, 1861. William Waugh and Alison Lindsay had children born at Kirkhall, Auchterhead, Summerside, and Daviesdyke (Kirkhall or Diura). John Rogerson Waugh's parents George Waugh and Isabella Barclay were also living in Allanton, Cambusnethan during the 1870s and until their deaths in 1877 and 1878.
1871 Scotland Census - Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire
Mary Waugh married Gavin Stewart Scott (ploughman, son of Gavin Scott, farmer, and Jane Duncan) on Jan 3, 1876, at Orchard Colliery in Carluke. They had at least eleven children: Gavin (born Aug 10, 1876); John (born Nov 9, 1878, died July 10, 1974); Thomas (born about 1882); George (born about 1883); Agnes (born about 1885); James (1887-1954); Alexander (1889-1961); Janet (born about 1892); Isabella (born Dec 6, 1893); Mary (born Sept 22, 1895); and Lillias (born about 1900).
Scott & Margaret Green |Thomas
Scott & Agnes Rennie Robertson |
George Waugh Scott & Grace Welsh Guthrie
Alexander Scott was born on the 31st July 1889 at Lesmahagow. One of a family of eleven, he had five brothers and five sisters. He was the sixth and youngest son of Gavin, a Lanarkshire farmer, and his wife Mary Waugh, whom he married in 1876. It was a remarkable family. Seven of them graduated from the University of Glasgow, and all of them had successful lives. Although the family was deeply attached to the land, there was something of a Scott 'diaspora'.The eldest brother, Gavin, went off to make a career in Rangoon. Another, George, became a Medical Officer on the rubber and tin estates in Malaya. James became a Mining Engineer in Nairobi, Bella farmed in Rhodesia and Alexander spent much of his working life in Malaysia. Perhaps it is not surprising that their father, Gavin, became a conscientious and prolific letter writer. Ruth Richens, his granddaughter, edited and published these letters, which offer a unique insight into Scottish society in wartime and into young Alexander Scott's war experiences as a newly qualified Doctor at the Front. - from Biography of Captain (Temporary Commission) Alexander Scott
Census - Carluke, Lanarkshire
Orchard Row, Overtown
This is a row of 36 two-apartment
houses owned by Houldsworth of Coltness, and let at a rental of 2s.
3d. per week, exclusive of rates. There are no sculleries. Water is
supplied by two stands in front of the row. Dust-bins are in use,
and scavenging of a sort is done regularly. Dry-closets of a very
unsatisfactory type are in use. There are small gardens in front of
those houses. [Evidence presented to Royal Commission, 25th March
Census - Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire
Lillias Rennie Waugh married Alexander Thom Cringam on Aug 18, 1882. Alexander Thom Cringan was born on Oct 13, 1860, in Carluke, Lanarkshire. His parent's were Robert Cringan (b. 1821) and Janet Thom (b. 1826). They were married on Oct 1, 1841, in Clarkson.
Alexander Cringan and Agnes Rennie had eleven children: Robert Ellis Cringan (Aug 10, 1883 - Aug, 1907); John Waugh Cringan (July 23, 1885 - April 18, 1949); Agnes Rennie Cringan (March 31, 1887 - Jan 25, 1968); Janet Thom Cringan (Feb 27, 1889 - May 10, 1972); Lillias Waugh Cringan (Dec 20, 1890 - July 13, 1967); Elizabeth Russell Cringan (Dec 20, 1893 - Oct, 1983); Isobel Margaret Cringan (Jan 31, 1895 - Jan 30, 1966); Annie Clark Cringan (Feb 3, 1897 - Dec 4, 1977); Helen MacDonald Cringan (June 11, 1899 - Feb 2, 1924); Marie Alexander Cringan (July 31, 1901 - Jan 11, 1992); and Catherine Gartshore Cringan (April 25, 1907 - March 13, 1960). - from Alex Cringan See more about Alexander Thom Cringan from Alex Cringan.
John Rogerson Waugh & Agnes Rennie and Family
Alexander Thom Cringan and Lillias Rennie Waugh emigrated to Canada in 1886.
Elizabeth Waugh and George Robertson (son of George Robertson, slate merchant, and Margaret Johnston) were married on July 24, 1889, in St. George Edinburgh at the home of Lizzie's parents (12 Shandon Place). They had at least four children: Gretta (born about 1893); Margaret Johnston (1895 - Feb 14, 1913); Agnes Rennie (born about 1899); and George.
John Rogerson Waugh & Agnes Rennie
In the Edinburgh Post Office Directory for 1888 there is a listing for John Waugh, coal and lime agent; office, 12 Shandon Place.
Census - St. George Burgh, Edinburgh
1891 Scotland Census -
Census - St. George Burgh, Edinburgh
1901 Scotland Census - Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire
Mary Waugh & Gavin Scott
1901 Canada Census - Ward Three, Toronto
Professor John Waugh Scott
Professor John Waugh Scott received his MA from the University of Glasgow
Scotland, in 1903, from which he graduated with first class honours in Mental
Philosophy. He was appointed lecturer in moral philosophy at the University of
Glasgow from 1905-1920. From 1920-1944, he held the position of Professor of
Logic and Moral Philosophy at the University of Cardiff, Wales. In 1921, he was
appointed the Mills lecturer in Philosophy at the University of California,
California, USA. He received his LLD from the University of Glasgow in 1944. He
contributed to the Encyclopaedia Britannica at various times during his career,
and originated and conducted the Homecrofts experiment, Cheltenham, England from
1928-1956. He was appointed the Honorary Secretary of the National Homecroft
Association from 1925 until 1943. He died in 1974.
Professor John Waugh Scott received his MA from the University of Glasgow Scotland, in 1903, from which he graduated with first class honours in Mental Philosophy. He was appointed lecturer in moral philosophy at the University of Glasgow from 1905-1920. From 1920-1944, he held the position of Professor of Logic and Moral Philosophy at the University of Cardiff, Wales. In 1921, he was appointed the Mills lecturer in Philosophy at the University of California, California, USA. He received his LLD from the University of Glasgow in 1944. He contributed to the Encyclopaedia Britannica at various times during his career, and originated and conducted the Homecrofts experiment, Cheltenham, England from 1928-1956. He was appointed the Honorary Secretary of the National Homecroft Association from 1925 until 1943. He died in 1974.- from Archiveshub.ac.uk
In the Edinburgh Post Office Directory for 1904 there is a listing for a John R. Waugh & Son, coal agents, 26 Shandon Pl; Telephone 1410 Central.
Agnes Scott (daughter of Mary Waugh and Gavin Scott) married James Glover (Medical Practitioner and son of Matthew Glover and Elizabeth Shancks) on July 4, 1905, in Hallhill, Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire.
George Waugh Scott
George Waugh Scott graduated MB from the University(of Glasgow) in 1907 and MD in 1920 with his thesis A study of malaria and measures for its abatement amongst rubber estate workers in the Federated Malay States. Scott was medical officer in the Kamuning, Heawood, Changhat Salak, and other Estates Hospitals Association. He worked from 1908 to 1936 in Malaysia, where he specialised in Tropical Medicine and epidemiology, and set up a practice at Sungai Siput. Scott returned to the UK in 1936 and practiced at Malvern Link. In 1937 he was awarded an MBE ‘for services in the Federated Malay States'. During the Second World War, Scott organised the Malvern first-aid post in 1939 in the capacity as an unpaid volunteer like his staff. As well as being on the council and as president of the Malaya Branch of the British Medical Association, Scott was chairman-elect of the Worcester and Bromsgrove Branch and a Fellow of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine. - from University of Glasgow, International Story, George Waugh Scott, OBE
John Rogerson Waugh
George Waugh, Coal Merchant, Single, died of "general paralysis" in 1909, at the age of 43. His sister, Elizabeth Robertson, 84 Marchmont Crescent, was the informant.
Just as a little interesting tidbit - on George Waugh death certificate 1909, this is from wikipedia on archaic medical terms. He died of syphilis."General paresis, also known as general paralysis of the insane or paralytic dementia, is a neuropsychiatric disorder affecting the brain and central nervous system, caused by syphilis infection. It was originally considered a psychiatric disorder when it was first scientifically identified around the nineteenth century, as the patient usually presented with psychotic symptoms of sudden and often dramatic onset." [Wikipedia]. - Glenda Waugh
1911 Scotland Census -
Hallhill Farm, Kirkfield Bank, Lesmahagow
1911 Canada Census -
633 Church St., Ward Three, Toronto North, Ontario
Abbie Clarkson is the housekeeper
1911 Scotland Census -
84 Marchmont Crescent, Morningside, Edinburgh
Agnes is a "saleswoman".
Margaret Johnton Robertson
Margaret Johnston Robertson (daughter of Elizabeth Waugh and George Robertson) died on Feb 14, 1913, in Edinburgh at the age of 18. She had epilepsy. Her address was given as 84 Marchmont Crescent, Edinburgh. This was the home of her parents, but her father was listed as "deceased" on her death certificate.
John Waugh Scott (son of Mary Waugh and Gavin Scott) married Margaret Green (daughter of Robert Green and Janet Gilles) on Dec 20, 1913, in Pollokshields, Glasgow. They had at least one child: Ruth (born May 25, 1919, died April 16, 2002).
Ruth Scott & Richard Richens
Agnes Rennie Robertson (daughter of George Robertson, deceased, and Elizabeth Waugh) married her cousin Thomas Scott (son of Gavin Scott and Mary Waugh) on Feb 23, 1915, at the Maitland Hotel, Shandwick Place, Edinburgh. They had at least one child: Gavin Stewart (born about 1915).
Agnes RennieAgnes Rennie died on Oct 18, 1915, in Hillend Gardens, Lesmahagow.
Immediately after graduating MB ChB in 1915 Sanny was off to training camp to prepare forservice in the 79th Brigade of the 26th Division. He wrote of 'a great life', plentiful good food and a lot of drill. He also came to value his Scottish identity;
"It may be a remnant of the clan system but I assure you birth north of the Tweed is the best qualification I can find for a man down here."
Sanny's father thought he was pleased to have a status now. 'After having been a failure so long in gaining his diploma, and an abject dependent on the family so long on that account.' He was posted to France as Medical Officer of the 30th Brigade of the Royal Garrison Artillery in September. In the winter of 1915-1916 it was very cold in the field and his letters have more to say about the weather, and about French farming practices than about the war. As winter turned to spring he marvelled at the way the farms kept the rhythm of the seasons and described how a farmer ploughed around the holes recently made in his field by German guns. He was, however, frequently bored, and noted that, while there was a lot of action on some parts of the line, others were very quiet. "I am well and rather fed up," he wrote home. His spirits lifted when he had access to a motorbike and got around a bit. In May 1916 he was moved to Number 12 Clearing Station. Where "I have all home comforts and there are no shells." He moved on to another station, where it seems he was kept very busy.
In July 1916 he wrote to his father, describing how busy his casualty station (Number 36) was, but not in danger as some stations up the line were. Sanny wrote that though he hated shells, "I can never feel altogether satisfied back here. Somebody must be among it, and I am just the person who ought to be, young and without wife or children. Many doctors with infantry have both." In September Sanny was promoted to Captain. He wrote to his father; "Unfortunately in the RAMC this does not mean an increase of pay. All the difference it makes is a form of address."
Though his letters do not dwell on the sights and sounds of death, the tale of the war is there in his description of the fields. "The last bit of standing corn in sight was cut by two men with scythes in the rain this morning." Harvest time came, and Sanny found himself worrying about fields 'dropping ripe' with oats that couldn't be brought in. Sanny remained in good health, at least outwardly, though when he wrote that two surgeons, exhausted by the work being sent home, he noted that this would not happen to him since he had "an unfortunate habit of looking in the best of health."
His health was finally broken, however. In the summer of 1918 he wrote from a Red Cross hospital in Rouen, "I have had another relapse of this wretched (trench) fever and they are sending me home." He was sent to Manchester to recover. He found Manchester rather like Glasgow, but now in convalescence hated being cooped up most of the day in a "dirty, smoky, stinking Hospital."
Captain Alexander Scott survived the Great War. He married Jean Kinnear, a niece of his brother George's wife. He went out to Malaya to join George as a medical officer on the rubber and tin estates. He retired to general practice in Westray, Orkney in 1943, and finally to Jedburgh. He died in 1961.
Battle of Messines
Royal Engineers mining crew in the process of tunneling under
the Messines Ridge for the placement
"The blowing up of a trench is one of the most terrifying operations in modern war."
James joined the Royal Engineers in October 1916. His mining engineering background was ofgreat use to the Army. He would be a tunneller. This was a dangerous occupation, as James described it in his letters. Both sides were tunnelling, the object being to undermine and explode each other's trenches. Some of the tunnels were as much as 200 feet under. "The blowing up of a trench," he wrote, "is one of the most terrifying operations in modern war." In December he was commissioned as 2nd Lieutenant. In February, 1917, after extensive, often gruelling training, he was posted to France.
He was at Messines, attached to the 25th Division, when the Ridge was taken. The mines, he reported, were "an unqualified success." The Germans fled. One of his tasks after that was to find the enemy's dugouts, clear them of dead and wounded, and make them fit for our infantry to shelter in. It was a 'grim job', but in doing it he found secret papers and plans of great value. After Messines, James had a fortnight's rest 30 miles behind the lines, though still within sound of the guns.
It was short respite. Back to work in Belgium, he wrote of the awful conditions, where men suffered ill ventilated, cramped, wet, muddy conditions. It was July 1917 and he had been on horse-burying fatigue and was asking, "Is it worth risking casualties to men for the sake of burying horses?" Some of the horses up the line were 'very dead' and it was work that tired out your arms from holding your nose, and you "console yourself that there are worse things than stinks to walk through."
In some of his last letters to his father in July 1917, James wrote of a rest period after Messines, when the men were able to bathe in the lake and relax. He wrote of the prospect of going back 'home' up the line;
"It is curious how one's fear of and aversion to the line increases the longer one is out of it. I could well take a job in some quiet place in the back areas for the rest of the war. In the idleness of the last week I have been doing a lot of new thinking about the war. I fear it will not end as soon as I have all along assumed."
His father, Gavin, died just a month later, on 31st August 1917. James Scott, like his brother Sanny came home safe from the war. Married to Jean Dykes, he went off to become a mining engineer in Nairobi. He died in 1954.
See also The Long, Long Trail, 25th Division
Gavin Stewart Scott
Gavin Stewart Scott (husband of Mary Waugh) died on Aug 31, 1917, in Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire.
Isabella Scott (daughter of Mary Waugh and Gavin Scott) married John Lockhart Steele (son of James Steele and Margaret Lockhart) on March 29, 1919, at Hillend Garden. Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire.
Mary Scott (daughter of Mary Waugh & Gavin Scott) married Walter Forrest (son of Thomas Forrest and Mary Stewart) on Sept 22, 1922, at Hillend Garden, Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire.
Professor John Waugh Scott
John Waugh Scott was a Lecturer in Moral Philosophy, University of Glasgow, 1905-1920, Professor of Logic and Moral Philosophy, University College, Cardiff, 1920-1944 and Mills Lecturer in Philosophy at the University of California in Berkeley, 1921-1922.
Welsh Teacher Arrives to Take Berkeley Chair
The Cheltenham Experiment
National Homecroft Association
FOUNDER/LEADER: Prof. J.W.Scott Public utility company inspired by
working-class housing schemes in California. Built ten houses at Cheltenam with
smallholdings attached. The families kept poultry & pigs and grew potatoes and
fruit. It was hoped to replace individual holding with group homecrofts. As the
depression worsened the scheme was used to teach groups of unemployed to grow
food. A market was set up where the members could buy and sell their produce
using their own local currency. The scheme had close links with Cardiff
university from where student came to help. By 1934 The Times reported, in a
favourable article, that light handlooms were in use. GRID REF: Cheltenam
FOUNDER/LEADER: Prof. J.W.Scott
Public utility company inspired by working-class housing schemes in California. Built ten houses at Cheltenam with smallholdings attached. The families kept poultry & pigs and grew potatoes and fruit. It was hoped to replace individual holding with group homecrofts. As the depression worsened the scheme was used to teach groups of unemployed to grow food. A market was set up where the members could buy and sell their produce using their own local currency. The scheme had close links with Cardiff university from where student came to help. By 1934 The Times reported, in a favourable article, that light handlooms were in use.
GRID REF: Cheltenam
Lillias Scott (daughter of Mary Waugh and Gavin Scott) married Lindsay Steele (son of James Steele and Margaret Lockhart) on Sept 29, 1925, at Hillend Garden, Lesmahagow, Lanarkshire.
Scott's Market, Burma
Bogyoke Aung San Market(formerly Scott's Market) is a major bazaar located in Pabedan township in central Yangon, Myanmar... Scott Market was built in 1926, late in the British rule of Myanmar, and although it is commonly believed to be named after James George Scott, the British civil servant who introduced football to Myanmar, it is actually named after the Municipal Commissioner of the time, Mr. Gavin Scott. After Burmese independence in 1948, it was renamed after Bogyoke (General) Aung San. A new wing of the market was added across Bogyoke Market Road in the 1990s. The market structure is listed on the Yangon City Heritage List. - Wikipedia
Health and sanitary files in the National Archives of Myanmar helped illustrate the kinds of living conditions Rangoon’s poorest communities faced. A 1927 report on the Public Health of Rangoon provided particularly interesting evidence. Gavin Scott, the Municipal Commissioner Rangoon, estimated there were 250,000 ‘coolies’ in the city most of the year making up ‘more than half the population.’1 In providing this estimate of casual laborers, Scott’s testimony points to the large numbers of Rangoon residents living in poverty. When the Rangoon Social Services League offered testimony before the committee writing the 1927 report, they said that ‘the filth is indescribable’ in tenement buildings where ‘in every case the room visited was found to be overcrowded.’2 Given that tenement buildings provided some of the cheapest housing outside of Rangoon’s informal settlements, it becomes clear that a majority of Rangoon’s residents faced in extremely poor living conditions. Besides only illustrating Rangoon’s poor living conditions, the health and sanitary files also provide a point of comparison from which living conditions across the region – in cities likeBombay, Hong Kong and Singapore – can be compared. - from Slums, Squatters and Urban Redevelopment Schemes in Rangoon, 1894-1960, by Michael Sugarman, University of Cambridge
Alexander Thom Cringan and Lillias Waugh arrived into Glasgow from Montreal aboard the Canadian Pacific Steamship Minnedosa on Aug 16, 1928. Their proposed address in the UK was c/o Wm. Russell, Maplehurst, Carluke, Scotland.
Lillias Rennie Waugh Cringan died on May 10, 1929, in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and is buried in the Mt. Pleasant Cemetery, Toronto.
Mr. Gavin Scott, Rangoon Official Leaves for Home
Thomas Scott, farmer (son of Mary Waugh and Gavin Scott and husband of Agnes Rennie Robertson) died on April 6, 1932, in Dennistoun, Glasgow at the age of 51. The informant was Gavin Scott, brother, and his address was given as Hall Hill, Crossford, Carluke.
Mary Waugh (widower of Gavin Stewart Scott and daughter of John Rogerson Waugh and Agnes Rennie) died on March 31, 1937, in Hillend Gardens, Lesmahagow.
George Waugh Scott
As well as pioneering work in the field of engineering, University alumni have also pioneered Malaria research in Malaysia, beginning with Sir Malcolm Watson (1873–1955). Having graduated MB CM in 1895, Watson joined the Malayan Medical Service in 1900, submitting his MD thesis on The effect of drainage on malaria in 1903, and became the pioneer of malarial control in Malaya (Peninsular Malaysia), making Malaysia’s anti-malaria programme one of the world’s oldest. Watson was followed in his research by George Waugh Scott (1883–1944), MB 1907 and MD 1920, whose work, research and thesis, ‘A study of malaria and measures for its abatement amongst rubber estate workers in the Federated Malay States’, saw him awarded an MBE in 1937 ‘for services in the Federated Malay States’; and Robert B Wallace, MD 1967, continued with this area of research with his thesis on ‘Malaria Control in Hilly Country in Malay’.- from University of Glasgow, International Story, Malaysia
Isabella Waugh died on Aug 23, 1944, at 70 Townhead St., Strathaven, Avondale and Glassford, Lanarkshire. The informant was J.W. Scott, Nephew, University College, Cardiff.
Elizabeth Waugh Robertson, Widow of George Robertson, Marine Engineer, died on Dec 3, 1945, at 12 Melville Terrace, Edinburgh, at the age of 83.
Mrs Ruth Richens died suddenly aged 82 at her home in Cambridge on April 16th this year. At the SPNSociety AGM in Dunfermline in May, Simon Taylor paid a short tribute to her, a summary of which is printed below.
Ruth Richens nee Scott was among the first members of the SPNSociety and one of the most loyal attenders at the conferences, despite the fact that she lived in Cambridge. She showed the same loyalty to Project Pont, attending every one of its annual conferences during the four years of its existence. , I had the privilege of working with her on a paper given at the Project Pont Conference in New Lanark in April 2000 entitled 'Pont and Place-Names of Lesmahagow' using her meticulously collected and collated material from the sometimes almost illegible Pont manuscript map of Lanarkshire.
My first encounter with Ruth's work was her excellent 'Ancient land divisions in the parish of Lesmahagow', Scottish Geographical Magazine 108 (no.3), 184-189 (1992), in which she used 12th and 13th century charters of Kelso Abbey to recreate early land-units in that parish. Her love of Lanarkshire, especially of Lesmahagow, ran deep, since her father's family hailed from there, and she often visited there in her youth. Her great act of family homage was her edition of the letters of her grandfather, Gavin Scott, written between 1911 and 1917 to Gavin Scott's son George, a medical officer in Malaya. These she published in six books in the 1980s (see Scottish Place-Name News 5 (Autumn 1998), p.9). Ruth, in her work on Lesmahagow, as well as on family history, received impressive support from various family members, especially from her cousin Mrs Lilias MacDonald, North Queensferry, who was present at the Dunfermline conference, and from Mrs MacDonald's husband Kinnear MacDonald, who has produced a digitised database of much of Ruth's Pont material, including a successful attempt at presenting Pont's river system in an electronic format.
Latterly Ruth had been working on the Hamilton Estate Rental of 1637, which details all the property held by the Hamiltons throughout Lanarkshire and beyond. She was applying her usual meticulous care on this work, as well as bringing to bear on it her formidable knowledge of Lanarkshire topography and toponymy.
The greatest tribute that can be paid to Ruth is to ensure that her work is continued, and published, and I hope that the SPNSociety will be actively involved in such a tribute.
Robert Cringan (born March 5, 1821. in New Monkland) married Janet Thom (born June 9, 1826) on Oct 1, 1841, in New Monkland, Lanarkshire Scotland. They had at least five children: Janet (born Oct 15, 1842); Elizabeth (born Oct 14, 1849); Robert (born Nov 14, 1851); Margaret (born Feb 25, 1854); Jane (born about 1858); and Alexander Thom (born Oct 13, 1860).
The Thom Side of the Family
Janet Thom's parents were Alexander Thom and Janet Jack. They were married on Jan 1, 1821, in New Monkland and had at least six children: George (born Nov 11, 1821); Margaret (born Jan 25, 1824); Janet (born June 9, 1826, in Carluke); Jane and William (twins born May 24, 1829); and Alexander (born May 13, 1832); all except Janet in New Monkland.
Alexander Thom's parents were George Thom and Margaret Bryson and they had at least five children: James (born April 29, 1798); Alexander (born about 1799); George (born June 9, 1805); Isobel (born July 26, 1807) and Robert (born Dec 10, 1809), all in New Monkland. - Scotland's people
In Memory of Alex Cringan
The following information and photos have been provided courtesy of Alex Cringan (grandson of Lillias Rennie Waugh):
Trimble, Dorothy Irene Robertson, 1990. THE HERITAGE OF THE PAST: Settlers: Alexander Thom Cringan and Lillias Rennie Waugh. Published privately, Toronto, ON., Canada
Lillias Rennie Waugh (1861-1929), the third of five children of John Waugh (1833-1908) and Agnes Rennie (1836-aft1908), was born in Cambusnethan, Lanarkshire, Scotland, February 24, 1861. She married Alexander Thom Cringan (1860-1931) on August 18, 1882. They had 11 children, two sons born in Scotland, and nine daughters born in Canada. Lillias and Alex and their two sons emigrated from Scotland to Canada in 1886.
Lillias Rennie Waugh Cringan has been described by members of her family as intelligent, accepting, compassionate and patient. Although very busy with her eleven children and home, she had many interests and a deep concern for others. Lillias was concerned about pre-school education. Her daughter, Marie Taylor, recalls when she was four years old going with her mother every Thursday to the home of Mrs. James L. Hughes where several ladies experimented with various teaching methods such as Montessori and Proeblian. Lillias was concerned about the rights of women. As was the custom, Lillias gave calling cards to friends which announced the days she would be "At home" to receive visitors. Over tea they discussed the issues of the day and the rights of women. She campaigned for Margaret Patterson who became the first Magistrate of Women's Court in Toronto. She belonged to a support group for the Yorkville Home for Unmarried Mothers and frequently employed their girls as domestics. She was a member of the Women's Christian Temperance Union. Lillias did not want anyone thinking that she was anxious to marry off her nine daughters. When in their teens only two of the girls were allowed to attend the same party. When young gentleman called for the girls to take them to parties or concerts Lillias would seldom appear in case they should think that they were being looked over as prospective husbands. Some of Lillias wise sayings and practices have been carried down through the generations. "The back is made for the burden rather than the burden for the back" was a favourite saying. "One cuts and the other chooses" was a rule handed down to our children when food such as an apple or a piece of cake was to be shared. "Never let the sun go down on your wrath" was another guideline. "Better that their bones be broken than their spirit" was an adage by which the Cringan children were brought up and which Rennie perpetuated in bringing up Bill and Cringan.
Alexander Thom Cringan visited Canada in 1885-86 (on the Circassia, g in New York Oct. 19, 1885), then returned to Britain where he completed his Licentiate at Curwen's Tonic Sol-Fa College in London. In 1887 A.T. and Lillias Waugh with sons Robert Cringan and John Cringan came to Canada in a ship powered by both sails and engine. Near Newfoundland the rudder of the ship broke and the ship foundered for six weeks before they were rescued. Six weeks after they arrived in Toronto Agnes Rennie Cringan was born.
The Toronto Directory lists the addresses
of Alexander Thom Cringan as follows:
Biographical Note from TORONTO ART AND MUSIC (1891):
The leader of the choir of the Central Presbyterian Church, Mr. Alexander T. Cringan, was born at Carluke, Lanarkshire, Scotland, October 13th, 1860. Receiving his early training at the local Grammar School, he got his musical education at the Tonic Sol Fa College, London, Eng., where he took the special subjects of harmony and voice training and the art of teaching music. Mr. Cringan is a graduate and licentiate of the Tonic Sol Fa College  , having the degree of G.L.T.S.C. In 1887 he was appointed Superintendent of Music for the Toronto Public Schools. He was conductor of the Tonic Sol Fa Society during 1886-7. Since 1887 he has been identified with the Scottish Select Choir and the Summer School of Music of the American Vocal Music Association. Mr. Cringan is the author of the Canadian Music Course and Teachers' Handbook. He conducted with marked ability the school children's concert in the Pavilion Music Hall, March 21st, 1890, and the Carnival Concert in the Crystal Palace in the same year. Since 1887 he has been choirmaster at the Central Presbyterian Church.
MUSIC WORLD BEREAVED IN DEATH OF A. T. CRINGAN
Alex & June Cringan, April, 2010, Fort Collins, Colorado
CRINGAN, Alexander T. - Age 86, of Fort Collins, CO died October 30, 2012. He is survived by his wife June, his sister Mary Janes of Toronto; his two sons Alexander C. of Hope, BC and Douglas (Gayle) of Wellington, CO; and granddaughters Heather of North Grafton, MA, Kelly of Wellington, CO, and twins Allison and Megan of San Tan Valley, AZ. Alex will be remembered by his family and friends for his smile, his wealth of knowledge and his kind disposition. Memorial contributions may be made to the Foothills Unitarian Church Endowment Fund, 1815 Yorktown Ave., Fort Collins, CO 80526, or to the Fort Collins Audubon Society, PO Box 271968, Fort Collins, CO 80527-1968.- Published in the Toronto Star from November 10 to November 11, 2012
All Rights Reserved