The Waugh Family
An historical and photographic perspective
 
Wellwood Waugh
 


The relationship between Wellwood Waugh and our Waugh family is unknown. Wellwood was a "joiner" (or carpenter) born at about the same time as our Robert Waugh (born about 1744) who was a joiner in Lochmaben. Our Robert's first son William was born in Lockerbie Feb 15, 1778.

Wellwood Waugh Helen Henderson
Born: Feb 15, 1741 Born: 1734
Place: Lockerbie, Dryfesdale Place:
Married:  
Place: Lockerbie?  
Died: June 5, 1824 Died: 1795
Place: Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia, Canada Place: Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia, Canada
Buried: Willow Church Cemetery Buried: Willow Church Cemetery


WAUGH, WELLWOOD (Welwood), joiner, miller, farmer, estate manager, and jp. b. 15 Feb. 1741 in Lockerbie, Scotland, son of Alexander Waugh and Catherine Colven; m. 28 March 1760 Helen Henderson in Wallastown (probably in the Annandale valley), Scotland, and they had nine children; d. 3 June 1824 at Waughs River, N.S.
- from A History of Tatamagouche, Frank H. Patterson, 1917 (20 MB). Wallastown is probably Walliston in the Parish of Glencairn (on Military Map of Scotland, William Roy, 1747-55) next to the Parish of Keir. The Wallaceton Farm is 2.5 miles NE of Dunscore (Google maps).

Map showing location of "Walliston" (Wallacetown) in the Parish of Glencairn, William Roy, 1752-1755
Map showing location of "Walliston" (Wallacetown) in the Parish of Glencairn, William Roy, 1752-1755
Barndarrock is in the upper right.

Wellwood Waugh's parents were Alexander Waugh and Catherine Colvin (1719-1809). An Alexander Waugh and Kathrine Kelvie had a son William born April 13, 1746, in Troqueer, Kirkudbrightshire.

At Troqueer Kirk April 13th, 1746, William son of Alexander Wauch, Cooper, & Kathrine Kelvie in Bridgend was baptized.
At Troqueer Kirk April 13th, 1746, William son of Alexander Wauch, Cooper, & Kathrine Kelvie in Bridgend was baptized.

Wellwood Waugh married Helen "Nelly" Henderson in about 1759. They had at least eight children (dates unconfirmed). Please note that Lockerbie is in the Parish of Drfesdale: "After January 1763, irregular entries are on six pages dated 17491786. Between 1785 and 1803 the record is extremely irregular with respect to dates, whole families are recorded together. Eighteen entries for 17901818 are recorded after 1819 entries. Mother's names are not recorded in regular entries before 1783 and sometimes omitted after that date (from Familysearch.org).

 

Children Born Place Died Place
Mary 1760 Lockerbie, Dumfriesshire 1760  
Alexander June 21, 1761 Ecclefechan, Hoddom, Dumfriesshire June 15, 1763 Dumfriesshire
Thomas Dec 15, 1763 Lockerbie, Dumfriesshire 1854 Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia, Canada
Catherine Sept, 1765 Dumfriesshire 1763 Dumfriesshire
Alexander Nov 2, 1766 Scotland May 22, 1804 Waugh's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
William Jan 1, 1768 Lockerbie, Dumfriesshire Dec 18, 1857 Waugh's River, Nova Scotia, Canada
Catherine April 5, 1771 Dumfriesshire June 10, 1853 Malagash, Nova Scotia, Canada
Mary 1782 Brownmoor, Annan, Dumfriesshire Before 1871  

Ecclefechan Associate Session, later United Presbyterian Church

Ecclefechan is a village in the parish of Hoddam, Annandale. The parish of Hoddam is bounded on the north by the parish of St. Mungo. In 1735 the parishioners of St. Mungo gave a call a particular man to be their pastor, while the crown, as patron, presented another man to the vacant charge. The case was litigated through the church courts, and finally settled in 1736 by the General Assembly deciding in favor of the patron's presentee. Several of the parishioners refused to submit to the incumbent's ministry, and finding a number of sympathizers in the adjoining parishes, they united with them in a petition to the Associate Presbytery for supply of sermon, which was granted. They were called the "Correspondence of Annandale" and their usual place for meeting was at Ecclefechan, but occasional meetings were held at other places, to which particular reference is made in the history of Lockerbie congregation, with which that of Ecclefechan is identified until 1746. In that year the Presbytery appointed Mr. Murray, who had been ordained over "The Correspondence of Annandale" three years before, but had recently been confining his public ministrations almost wholly to Lockerbie, to preach a few Sabbaths in the summer time in the Ecclefechan district. But this attempt of the Presbytery to reconcile the people proved unavailing. The controversy respecting the Burgess Oath had now begun to agitate the Church, and when the Breach resulting from it took place, the majority of the people in and about Ecclefechan adhered to the Associate Burgher, while the greater portion of those in and about Lockerbie adhered to the General Associate Antiburgher Synod, and thus became separate congregations. Those forming the congregation of Ecclefechan worshiped in the open air until 1766, when they took possession of a church they had built for themselves. A new church was opened in 1864. - Source: Annals and Statistics of the United Presbyterian Church, by Rev. William MacKelvie, D.D., pub. 1873. Film #477618. More details are given in the source.

Wellwood Waugh: In "Voyagers to the West: A Peopling of of America on the Eve of the Revolution", 1986, Bernard Bailyn writes that "Wellwood Waugh, who described himself to the Customs officials as a joiner, was well-educated and related, it was generally believed, to a landed family, the Lairds of Barnbarrock, had come from Brownmoor in Annan". Brown Muir, Annan, is located just to the south of Ecclefechan. Wellwood Waugh and Helen Henderson had a son named Alexander born June 21, 1761, and he was identified as a "wheel wright in Ecclefechan" in the Parish of Hoddom.

Map showing Bardannach, Blaeu Atlas of Scotland, 1654
Map showing Bardannach, Blaeu Atlas of Scotland, 1654

Barndarroch is in the parish of Keir. Barnbarrock is in Colvend Parish, Kirkudbrightshire. There was an Alexander Waugh of "Barn Dannoch" Keir, who had a daughter born Jan 3, 1740. Wellwood Waugh was born on Feb 15, 1741, in Lockerbie, Dryfesdale. An Alexander Waugh died at Blackwood, Keir, on Nov 20, 1769 (and a James Waugh "tenant at Beuchan" died on March 29, 1770). 

Wellwood's parents were Alexander Waugh and Catherine Colvin.  Alexander Waugh and Katherine Kelvie had a son William born April 13, 1746, in Bridgend, Troqueer, Kircudbrightshire. There is a William Waugh (1746-1808) buried in Dunscore Old Churchyard, Dumfriesshire, Scotland: William WAUGH, farmer in Forest-Rigg of Dalswinton, who died 26th Aug 1808 aged 62 years Erected by R. R. & J. WAUGH. Y-DNA 67 match between Thomas Waugh and Jeff Waugh link William Waugh of Forest Rigg to Robert Waugh of Lochmaben.

Alexander Waugh's parents were James Waugh ("of the lineage of Keir") and Mary McKeg.

Map showing location of Waul;k (Waugh) Hill, Beuchan, Barndannocks and Blackwood in the Parish of Keir, William Crawford, 1804
Map showing location of Waulk (Waugh) Hill, Beuchan, Barndannocks and Blackwood in the Parish of Keir, William Crawford, 1804
Walliston (Wallacetown) is located close to Fleuchlarg

Waugh Hill

From The New Statistical Account of Scotland, Volume 9, 1836
From The New Statistical Account of Scotland, Volume 9, 1836

Wellwood's mother traveled with him to Prince Edward Island aboard the Lovely Nelly in 1774. See Passenger List for the Lovely Nelly.

"We now come to one of the most interesting events in the history of Tatamagouche
- the arrival of the first Scotch settler, Wellwood Waugh..."

From A History of Tatamagouche, Frank H. Patterson, 1917
From A History of Tatamagouche, Frank H. Patterson, 1917

"James Waugh, of the Brown Hill of Dunscore, being one of the lineage of the Waughs of the Kere*, and his wife, Mary McKeg, lived both to a very great old age, died at the same time, and were interred in the same grave, leaving four sons and two daughters. The youngest son, Alexander, was married to Catherine Calvin in the Parish of Lockerton in the year 1739; their eldest son, Wellwood, was born there on the l0th day of February, 1741, married Nellie Henderson in the year 1760." - from A history of Tatamagouche, Nova Scotia by Frank H. Patterson

* "Kere" is probably the Parish of Keir. The "Parish of Lockerton" should probably be the Parish of Dryfesdale where Lockerbie is located, but it may be the Parish of Lochrutton in Kirkudbrightshire 4 miles SSW of Dumfries.

Brownhill: About 2 chains N. [North] of Burnhead. A farm house with outhouses & garden attached, the property [of] the trustess of the late John Morrin. Occupied by James Hiddleston. - from Scotlands Places, 1848-1858 (2 chains = 40.2336 metres)

Burnhead School: About 35 Chains S.E. [South East] of Allanton A Small Stone building used as one of the Parish Schools of Dunscore; it has an Annual Stipend & is the property of the Heritors of the Parish. - from Scotlands Places

William Waugh (1746-1808) buried in Dunscore Old Churchyard, Dumfriesshire, Scotland. William WAUGH, farmer in Forest-Rigg of Dalswinton, who died 26th Aug 1808 aged 62 years Erected by R. R. & J. WAUGH. An FTDNA Y-DNA 67 match between Thomas Waugh and Jeff Waugh link William Waugh of Forest Rigg to Robert Waugh of Lochmaben.

Brownhill of Dunscore

Map showing Burnhead, Dunscore and Forest Rigg of Dalswinton
Map showing Burnhead, Dunscore and Forest Rigg of Dalswinton
Alexander Waugh (1735-1785) was a schoolmaster at Kellystoun

Troqueer Cemetery Monumental Inscriptions

The first side simply had "WAUGH" in large letters.

--- 2nd side -

IN MEMORY OF ALEXANDER WAUGH SCHOOLMASTER OF DUNSCORE AND FATHER OF ALEXANDER WAUGH SENIOR WHO DIED 23RD DECEMBER 1785 AGED 50 YEARS

--- 3rd side -

IN MEMORY OF ALEXANDER WAUGH, SENIOR. WHO WAS FOR A LONG PERIOD OF YEARS SCHOOLMASTER OF TROQUEER. AND AN ELDER IN THE PARISH - A MAN WELL KNOWN AND APPRECIATED FOR HIS PIOUS AND USEFUL LIFE. HE WAS BORN 18TH JANUARY, 1784 (64?) AND DIED 6TH MAY 1854.

--- 4th side -

ERECTED TO THE MEMORY OF ALEXANDER WAUGH SCHOOLMASTER OF TROQUEER BY A FEW FRIENDS AND FORMER PUPILS. THE ARDUOUS DUTIES OF HIS OFFICE WERE MOST ABLY AND EFFICIENTLY DISCHARGED BY HIM. HIS HIGH QUALITIES AS A TEACHER WERE CONJOINED WITH EXTREME GENEROSITY AND KINDNESS OF HEART. MUCH RESPECTED AND ESTEEMED FOR HIS CHRISTIAN CHARACTER AND HIS LOSS WAS DEEPLY FELT AND WIDELY DEPLORED. HE WAS BORN 2ND SEPTEMBER 181?* DIED 22ND APRIL 1865 AND IS INTERRED IN THE OLD CHURCHYARD OF DUNSCORE

 

1802 ..........

Some time after the death of his wife, Waugh returned to Scotland...


From A History of Tatamagouche, Frank H. Patterson, 1917

 

1809 ..........

Catherine Colvin

Catherine CAMPBELL 1719-1809

Sacred / to the memory of / Catherine / the mother of Welwood WAUGH / and William CAMPBEL who departed this life / in the year 1809 at the advanced age of / ninety years. She was a descendant of / those Scottish worthies who in the defence of / the testimony of Jesus and the civil / liberties of their country loved not their / lives unto death and who under / providence were the means of securing / to their offspring those civil and religi- /ous privledges which now constitute / the best ornaments of Scotland. During / the whole period of her life she was a / careful and successful traveller in the / blessed path of her progenitors and at / last completed her protracted pilgrim- / age in the firm belief of the truth of / the divine promises and in the animating / hope of an entrance into that rest which re- / mains for the people of God . In memory of / so much goodness and of a parent so deser- / vedly dear , this stone has been erected by / her sons. The righteous shall be laid in / everlasting remembrance. - from Cemetery Project - Willow Church Cemetery, Colchester County, Nova Scotia

 

1824 ..........

Wellwood Waugh & Helen "Nelly" Henderson

Welwood WAUGH 1739-1824

Here lie the remains of / Nelly / wife of / Welwood WAUGH / who was married 1759 / died 1795 aged 61 years. / Thirty and six years are past and gone. Love and unity did still abound. / She was the mother of my tribe. The dusty parts shall near in my dwelling bide befor the door that I may see. The place she lies I'll shortly be. She was zealous for Christ?s cause agreeable to South?s covenanted laws. Now Nelly is dressed like a bride in garments that are white and side that was dear bought by Christ for thee while he was hanging on the tree. Thy soul is in Heaven now singing praises high. Altho thy body moulding to dust does lie at the dreadful trumpet sound both Heaven and Earth will rebound. The next voice then that thou shall hear. It shall be sweet unto thy ear. The Judge says ye righteous come to me and have pleasure through eternity. / In memory of / Welwood WAUGH / who departed this life / June 5, 1824 / aged 85 yrs. / He was zealous in his station for covenanted information. - from Cemetery Project - Willow Church Cemetery, Colchester County, Nova Scotia

 

1857 ..........

William Waugh

William WAUGH 1766-1857

Sacred to the memory of / William WAUGH / Born in Dumfrieshire / came to this country in 1772 / Departed this life / Nov AD 1857 / Aged 91 yrs. / Also his Wife / Elizabeth / Died May AD 1843 / Aged 66 yrs. / In memory of / Thomas WAUGH / Died Mar. 17, 1908 / Aged 80 yrs. / His Wife / Jane C. MCINTOSH / 1839 - 1924 / In memory also of / Samuel WAUGH / Died March 2, 1894 / in his 100th year / His Wife / Margaret / Died / Feb. 2, 1891 / Aged 86 yrs. / Wellwood WAUGH / 1811 - 1856 / Mary WAUGH / 1825 - 1856. - from Cemetery Project - Willow Church Cemetery, Colchester County, Nova Scotia

 

Home

waughfamily.ca
All Rights Reserved